This is the selection guide for applications in one the following categories:
- Temperature control without laser diode drive
- Temperature control separate from laser diode drive
- Temperature control and laser diode drive as a combined system using our passthrough feature
See the Product Overview page for more information.
The TEC controller is a driver for a thermoelectric — or Peltier effect — cooler (TEC), and is capable of bidirectional operation (heating and cooling). The controller incorporates advanced servo logic that will regulate the temperature to a user-defined set point. It controls the voltage applied to the TEC, and the current that results is a characteristic of the TEC rather than the driver. In the event that the TEC tries to draw more current than the driver can provide, a shutoff will occur to protect the driver. When this occurs and the passthrough feature is in use, the laser driver will be automatically shut off as well.
The voltage capability of the TEC controller is determined by the input DC power supply. The controller output voltage is limited to 90% of the input. There are four configurations available:
- Single output:
- 12V DC power supply – 10.8V TEC controller maximum output, 10A output current limit
- 15V DC power supply – 13.5V TEC controller maximum output, 10A output current limit
- 24V DC power supply – 21.6V TEC controller maximum output, 10A output current limit
- Dual output:
- 24V DC power supply – 21.6V TEC controller maximum output, 10A total output current limit, or up to 20A if one TEC channel is heating and the other channel is cooling
The standard controller will work with any DC power supply in the range of 15V – 24V. Lower voltages are also possible but will require factory modification.
All Vue-TEC Controllers are available as a turn-key Developer Kit with control & analysis software, or as PCB-only for system integration & OEMs.